Adrenaline Rush – Why do some people love it?
Adrenaline or epinephrine is a stress hormone that prepares our body to fight for survival or run like hell away from danger. In India, the adrenaline rush most of us experience can be because we came close to being run over by a speeding truck or we just got into an argument with a cop who pulled us over for not wearing a helmet!
Most of us are happy to remain calm and in peace but then there are a group of people among us who crave for the adrenaline rush. They are called the “adrenaline junkies”. Adrenaline junkies are those addicted to danger, thrill, and spine-tingling action all the time. In short, most of our Bollywood heroes and some heroines squarely fall in the adrenaline junkie category!
Wondering if you are an adrenaline junkie addicted to the adrenaline rush? Take this adrenaline junkie self-test to find out.
So why do some people enjoy the adrenaline rush?
Figure out what lights the fire and then chase the match!
That pretty much summarizes the life of an adrenaline junkie. Let’s take a look at 13 awesome videos of people doing crazy stunts and enjoying it. Most of us will shudder at the idea of insane heights and the thought of throwing our lives on the line for the sake of experiencing the adrenaline rush. As we go through the videos, you will also find out interesting facts about what makes these adventure seekers tick!
1. Blame your genes! According to Marvin Zuckerman, professor of psychology at the University of Delaware, the sensation-seeking behaviour that characterizes the adrenaline junkie is just another human trait. And like any other human trait, it is something we inherit from our ancestors.
2. Adrenaline junkies are heroes (sometimes!): Not all adrenaline junkies drive around recklessly or just spend time doing crazy stunts. Some adrenaline junkies find equally daring things to do for the benefit of those around them. For example, adrenaline junkies will love working for the military, police force or as firefighters.
3. The addiction to adventure has a reason: When you perform strenuous activities, the body starts producing a chemical called endorphin that suppresses pain and gives you a heady feeling. This is a kind of addiction that demands more from you!
4. Addiction to adrenaline rush can make you vulnerable: While the pleasure of performing a thrilling bungee jump is great, it was found that adrenaline junkies are prone to drug and alcohol addiction as well.
5. Christopher Columbus must have enjoyed the adrenaline rush! The thrill of a new discovery and the challenge of venturing into the unknown is also a sensation-seeking trait that has helped human beings discover new continents and conquer challenging tasks around the world.
6. Do you have an Attention Deficit Disorder? According to Dr. Bernard Beitman, people with ADD tend to focus better when they are provided with a challenging task. This is because their norepinephrine levels are increased.
7. Which city is the most thrill-seeking? The tire company, BFGoodrich, surveyed 3500 Americans back in 2013 and concluded that one-third Americans are self-proclaimed thrill seekers who enjoy the adrenaline rush. The survey also found that Chicago has the most thrill seekers.
8. Pranayama can help cope with adrenaline: If you think you need to chill out and take a break from the addiction to the adrenaline rush, pranayama or deep breathing may be a simple yet effective remedy for you.
9. Ready to challenge Superman? Adrenaline can give you an instant boost of superhuman strength for a short time. People have known to lift cars to save others in an accident!
10. Fight against cancer? According to this article, the surge of adrenaline in your body is known to inhibit the growth of cancerous cells! That’s one good reason to take up bungee jumping!
11. Movies for adrenaline junkies: If you like heart pounding action, you should watch these movies – Point Break and The Hurt Locker.
12. The French Spiderman: Alain Robert from France is known for his daredevil feats. His speciality is to climb skyscrapers with just climbing shoes and a bag of chalk powder. He never uses any safety harness!
13. Stuntmen and stuntwomen: Obviously, stuntmen and women are adrenaline junkies. But, they are never the centre of attraction in most movies. As a tribute to their bravery and foolishness, here is a list of 7 top stuntmen from Hollywood!
Did you enjoy this post? Like and Share this with your friends.
You will love these posts
Are you an adrenaline junkie? Showcase your lifestyle and conquests on your Jodi Logik profile.